Before I start I want to just say that the driveshaft is not broken. Well, the unit itself isn't. The carrier bearing is broken and the whole thing is covered in rust. I treated it and painted over it but that was before I had higher standards.
I started off with removing the stock carrier bearing. I accidentally cut just a tin bit into the bearing but it will be fine. It doesn't actually spin on that side, it will be "gabbed" by the new carrier bearing.
JXB carrier bearing acquired. Expensive as can be, but well worth it. They even sent me some extra rubber strips to fill in the gap that the stock rubber would have filled in. While I was at it you can see I started cleaning some stuff up. I just did this using wire wheels. I think it actually did a decent job of removing a lot of the rust. That was until I purchased a pipe sander and made a real dent in it. Check it.
I will be applying some sort of treatment to this which is to be determined. Unfortunately the Cerakote I have will not adhere properly to a polished surface, however, there are some solutions that may. This was a pretty quick little project that remedied a lot of the rust concerns I had. I will also treat it with some spay-on rust converter before painting.