Well, the cooling system is not cool. In fact, it’s so uncool that it burned me when trying to drain the water after 5 minutes of idling. This will not do.

I anticipated that perhaps there is a blockage or an air bubble in the cooling system that is causing it to act up. There is also something funky going on with the heater core valve, which has been “fixed” by the previous owner. This includes a straight-through pipe rather than an actual valved pipe, meaning there is no actual control to the heater core. There is also no heat going into the heater core as the car does not blow hot air, only AC.

I started off with flushing the coolant a bunch. A bunch. After about 30 gallons of water, I decided it was time to just hook up the hose, as the coolant kept pumping out bits of rust and rock. I ran some coolant system cleaner and these are the results.

The front had to come off.

There were so many little bolts and screws that I will surely be missing some as it goes back together. Following this, I hopped on FCPEuro.com and ordered a bunch of new parts, including a new heater core and radiator. In the meantime, I repainted the support beams on the front of the car and the intercooler.

I also ordered a new MFTS sensor from Amazon to replace the snapped one. Woo. While I wait, I will be doing the timing belt and water pump because when in Rome…

So to recap, we now await parts from Lithuania (Heater Core Valve) and around USA. I’ll be removing the heater core which is a length process in its own right. From there, it SHOULD be as simple as bolting everything back together and it all working as it should.

So I put it back together. And well… now there’s a new leak. After getting the whole front end back together and all the piping back on, there pressure tester is not building any pressure in the system. Sigh. I added some water and the car is leaking from above the oil pan, which would seem to be the water pump.